Don't Miss Any Builds' Updates!
Get monthly updates about the latest gaming news! Only high-quality content.
One of the most difficult peripherals to choose a good headset for your needs, as there are many variations in shape, price and features. In this post, you I’m going to show you the best gaming headset under 100 dollar. This will obviously depend on each user’s needs. Keep reading to find the gaming headset you have been looking for!
How To Choose A Gaming Headset
The Microphone Quality
If you want to use some software like Ventrilo or TeamSpeak to communicate with your friends during your gaming sessions, you will need a decent headset with microphone. Nobody wants to play multiplayer games and being unable to communicate with your teammates, right?
One of the most important features to be aware of is the microphone quality. It’s really annoying to the listener to hear all the noisy sounds that a poor quality headset adds to the original signal. And for the same reason, the speaker will end up frustrated. Sometimes, the proper software’s microphone settings can make a difference in this respect.
Wired VS Wireless
As you will already know, there are both wired and wireless headsets. Although wireless headsets are more comfortable (I hate cables), they will usually lose some audio quality. What can you do about it?
- Paying more for a top-notch wireless headset (not recommended)
- Wired headsets
- Headsets with detachable audio cable (my personal preference)
The main advantages of the third option are that if you break the audio cable, or if your cat slices it with its tiny and sharp teeth… you can just replace the cable, instead of buying a new headset.
Impedance? Wat Is Dat?
In this guide, you will find specified a value called impedance is specified in every model. This value is usually ignored by most headphone buyers, but it is probably one of the most important, so pay attention to this section.
Impedance is probaby the most important specification of a headphone, so read this to learn what it is and why you should care about it
First off, let’s start with a (technical) definition. The impedance is the effective resistance of an electric circuit or component to alternating current, arising from the combined effects of ohmic resistance and reactance.
How this affects us, the headset users? The closer the source’s impedance to the load’s impedance, the less signal will be lost, which translates to a better signal quality.
- What is the source? Where you plug in the headset cable, that is, the motherboard or the dedicated sound card
- Note that one source can provide multiple impedance, each one with different power outputs, so you will have to google your source specs to find out what impedance values support
- What is the load? The headset
Not that anything catastrophic will occur with an impedance mismatch, but you might not get the best sound quality from a headphone with an impedance that is too high or too low for your music player/amplifier/motherboard/sound card.
Most headphones with low impedance (< 25 ohms) require little power to deliver high audio levels. For example, low impedance headphones will work well with equipment with weak amplification like portable music players, phones, and other portable devices.
Note that low impedance headsets are more susceptible to “blowouts” when using more powerful amplifiers. For example, connect a cheap pair of ear buds with low impedance (~18 ohms) to a DJ mixer, turn it up to the max, and you’ll probably blow them out.
Headsets with high impedance (> 25 ohms) need more power to deliver higher audio levels. Therefore, they won’t suffer any damage caused by overloading, as this is what they actually feed them! They can also be used with a wider range of audio equipment and generally deliver a superior audio experience.
Summarizing, for our gaming needs, we will be interested in >25 ohms impedances.
About This List
As the post’s title states, I’m going to review the best GAMING headset under 100 dollar. There are two constraints here:
- Gaming headsets only. Not for music, not for professionals, not cheap craps
- Must cost less than $100. Even though, do not expect to find any decent gaming headset under $50
There are tons of available models on the market and it would be unsustainable to include them all. That’s why I decided to narrow down the list as much as possible while keeping the main user target of this blog: gamers.
That being said, if you think I should add other models that I forgot to include in this list, do not hesitate and put it in the comments at the end of the post 🙂
Also, if you see errors, misleading information, or you just don’t agree with me I would really appreciate your comments so we all can improve this post together. Try to be nice with each other and be collaborative.
The Best Gaming Headset Under $100
If you have read all the previous content then you are ready to best gaming headset based on your needs. If you haven’t read any of the previous sections, I recommend you to take a quick look at it, I’m sure you will find it interesting.
'HyperX Cloud Stinger'
Opening the Top Gaming Headsets list, we have the HyperX Cloud Stinger, a low-budget yet high-quality headset with all the features that most of the users are looking for:
- With a weight of only 275 grams, ensuring comfortable prolonged gaming sessions
- Slider volume control. I find this far better than the typical “+” “-” buttons, which I personally find awful from the user experience perspective
- Noise cancellation microphone. This is pretty standard nowadays, but not that much in this price range
- Multiplatform compatibility: for those who are interested in using the headset for both console and PC games
As a negative point, the frequencies range is not as wider as I would like, especially the higher range, not supporting more than 23 kHz. Again, note that this is the lowest budget gaming headset that you will find and it is probably the best you can find for this price. So it’s still a good choice.
'Logitech G231 Prodigy'
Another awesome entry-level headset for gaming in the 50 dollar range. What’s most remarkable at first sight about the Logitech G231 Prodigy is its cool design and colors.
- One of the lightest gaming headsets on the market: just 255g
- Comfortable, breathable and washable cloth earcups
- Rotating earcups
- More than 5000 reviews!
This would definitely be my first choice for marathon sessions due to the first two reasons.
'Razer Kraken Pro V2'
Next we have the Razer Kraken Pro V2, one of the best-selling headsets on Amazon with more than 1500 positive results. The most remarkable features are:
- Specially designed to deliver the most enjoyable gaming audio experience
- High quality build, aluminum frame
- Widest frequency range of all the listed headsets in this post
- Interchangeable ear cushions, which I find awesome. I had to renew my latest headset because of the cushions wearing
As for the negative points, I would like to mention a couple fo things:
- It is a little heavy, with a total weight of 322g
- It’s not that good for music
'HyperX KHX-H3CL/WR Cloud'
The HyperX KHX-H3CL/WR Cloud is a professional gaming headset that delivers superior audio performance. Its crystal-clear low, mid and high tones plus enhanced bass-reproduction creates an immersive gaming experience.
- High impedance (60 ohms), supports HiFi audio quality
- Detachable microphone
- Audio optimized for professional gamers
'Sennheiser GSP 300'
Do you want headphones from a renowned and reliable audio-only brand? Then you should take a look at the Sennheiser GSP 300. This closed gaming headset is fitted with ultra-comfortable extra-large memory foam ear pads providing best-in-class isolation from ambient sound. The broadcast quality, noise-cancelling microphone minimizes background noise.
Surprisingly, the impedance is under our the 25 ohms target although most of the users claim to deliver an awesome audio experience. Also, the quality of the cable is not as good as we could expect from a gaming headset of this price.
'Corsair VOID Wireless'
This is the first and only wireless gaming headset of the list, the Corsair VOID Wireless, and this is what makes it unique from all the previous headphones:
- You get 7.1 audio, with no cables
- Enjoy 2.4GHz wireless freedom from up to 40 feet away from your PC
- Up to 16 hours of uninterrupted gaming between charges
- LEDs in each ear cup have fully adjustable power, pattern and color
The wireless feature is a double-edged sword. It’s pretty awesome not having to worry about the headset cable BUT due to the fact that there is no a direct cable connection between the source and the headset, you can assume that there will be some grade of signal loss, affecting the overall product sound quality.
That could be fixed in future versions with a hybrid wired/wireless connection, like the official Sony PS4 Headset.
'SteelSeries Arctis 5 RGB'
*** Editor’s Choice
Closing the list we have the SteelSeries Arctis 5 RGB. This is my personal preference for all the unique features and for its freaking good audio quality, comfort and build quality.
- Uses the S1 audio speaker drivers, the same that uses the Arctis 7 (priced at $149)
- USB ChatMix Dial, which allows you te adjust the balance between game and chat volumes on the fly!
- Elastic band – Ski Google Headband – for increased comfort
- DTS and 7.1 support
- On-ear, easy to use audio controls
- Customizable RGB illumination with their custom SteelSeries Engine software
- Connection via 3.5mm jack or USB, which means: DETACHABLE audio cable, so you can replace it whenever it wears out
I hope you have learned a thing or two about how to read gaming headsets specifications and how to choose the most appropriate for you. If you have any questions about any point discussed on this guide or about any of the headsets presented, you can leave a comment below!
If you are looking for building your own custom gaming computer, take a look at the budget builds I’ve designed.
Remember that you can use Disqus without signing in!
*Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer: Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated in each product and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on Amazon.com or your Amazon's country specific site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of the product.